Program to bring together business leaders, athletes and policymakers to explore all aspects of football in the Lone Star State
CONTACT: Lauren Van Ert
AUSTIN – The Texas Lyceum, a non-profit, non-partisan statewide leadership organization, will host its 30th annual Public Conference on the sport of choice in Texas…football.
The conference will take place on April 1, 2016 on the Texas Christian University (TCU) campus in Fort Worth and will gather several hundred conference attendees and speakers, including policymakers, business leaders, broadcasters, interested citizens and athletes to discuss “The Big Business of Football in Texas.”
"The Texas Lyceum Public Conference is a forum for addressing the leading public policy topics facing our state, and here in the birthplace of Friday Night Lights, football is both a cultural touchstone and a multi-billion dollar industry," said Texas Lyceum President Dave Shaw. "Our program includes state and national experts who will take on issues like the economic impact of football on communities, brain health and concussions, college recruiting and student athletes, high school football, and the future of a sport that means so much to Texans."
The conference will investigate topics of ethics and leadership, the role of the student-athlete, concussions and brain health, recruiting and the impact of sports on our economy and our communities, among other topics. The 2016 Public Conference will be interactive, dynamic and informative, and provide insight into the big business of football in Texas in a way that has never been done before.
Featured speakers will include panel discussions with athletes, coaches, parents, medical professionals, recruiters, journalists, equipment manufacturers and more. Confirmed speakers include:
• Britton Banowsky, Executive Director, College Football Playoff Foundation
• Ben Blocker, Creative Director, C3 Presents (Producers of NFL Draft Town)
• Dr. Charles Breithaupt, Executive Director, UIL
• Sandra Bond Chapman, Founder and Chief Director, Center for Brain Health, University of Texas at Dallas
• Jennifer Hale, Sideline Reporter, Fox Sports Southwest
• Dale Hansen, Sportscaster, WFAA
• Dave Marver, CEO and Co-Founder, Vicis
• Mathew Matheny, Attorney, Provost Umphrey Law Firm
• Betsy Price, Fort Worth Mayor
• Daron K. Roberts, Former NFL Coach and Director of the Center for Sports Leadership and Innovation, University of Texas at Austin
• D.W. Rutledge, Executive Director, Texas High School Coaches Association
• Brad Sham, The “Voice” of the Dallas Cowboys
• Lauren Silverman, Health Reporter, KERA
• Reilly Fox, Kicker, Paschal High School
• Ricky Williams, 1998 Heisman Trophy Winner, Former NFL Player, Longhorn Network Commentator
• Troy Vincent, EVP, NFL Football Operations
• Craig Way, Host, AM 1300 The Zone and High School Scoreboard Live on Fox Sports Southwest Play-by-Play Announcer, Texas Longhorns
The Lyceum meeting is open to the public and those interested in attending can visit www.BigTexasFootball.com to register. Media interested in covering the event are welcome to attend, but must RSVP to Lauren@MonumentGroupLLC.com or (512) 344-2601.
For media interested in speaking with a panelist in advance of the event, please contact Lauren@MonumentGroupLLC.com or (512) 344-2601.
About The Texas Lyceum
The Texas Lyceum, a non-profit, non-partisan group is the premier statewide leadership organization focused on identifying the next generation of top Texas leaders. The Lyceum consists of 96 men and women from throughout the state who begin their six-year term while under the age of 46, and have demonstrated leadership in their community and profession, together with a deep commitment to Texas. For more information, please visit www.BigTexasFootball.com. The Texas Lyceum is on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/texaslyceum and on Twitter at https://twitter.com/texaslyceum.