One of the missions of the Texas Lyceum is to identify and develop the next generation of top leadership in the State of Texas and to do this, we invest in our Texas schools, communities, and future leaders by offering scholarship awards to qualified individuals. Our purpose in offering this scholarship is to assist motivated Texas students, exhibiting leadership qualities, to attain their goals through higher education.
The scholarship award is intended to promote education and leadership within the great state of Texas, as well as to reflect its diversity. Eligible candidates are graduating high school seniors planning on attending any accredited Texas College or University. Any student meeting the eligibility requirements may apply for a Texas Lyceum Leadership Award. The Texas Lyceum is offering five (5) $2,500 scholarships for the 2012-2013 freshman year. The award will be paid directly to the College or University. The award will be paid prior to the freshman year once the student has presented proof of acceptance. It will be the student's responsibility to send proof of acceptance, as well as to whom and where scholarship monies should be sent, to the Lyceum office.
The following is the list of eligibility criteria for application consideration:
- Texas Resident and U.S. Citizen or Legal Resident
- Exhibited leadership in school and community activities
- Enrollment in any accredited Texas College or University
- Minimum Grade Point Average of 3.5 (on a 4.0 scale)
- Scholarships are limited to students who are graduating from high school in the year in which the scholarship is awarded
Eligible high school seniors are encouraged to apply for a Texas Lyceum Leadership Award. There are no restrictions on full or part time student status or course of study. All prospective candidates must submit a completed application prior to the deadline date (incomplete applications will not be considered). Applications can be accessed on the Texas Lyceum website only at www.texaslyceum.org. Click here to apply.
The application and all supporting documents are due on or before March 15, 2013. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
The Texas Lyceum Leadership Award program will be managed by the Texas Lyceum Leadership Award Committee. In exercising its role, the Committee has the following responsibilities:
- Review the program annually
- Establish the program policies
- Oversee and approve changes to the program requirements
- Coordinate the selection process
- Review specific issues raised by individual participants
Award recipients are selected on the basis of leadership, academic record, honors, personal essays, letters of recommendation, potential to succeed, and participation in school and community activities. The Texas Lyceum Scholarship Committee has the sole responsibility for selecting recipients, basing the decision on criteria as set forth in the program's narrative and submitted applications. Decisions of the Committee are final.
COMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL INCLUDE:
- Your completed application form.
- A resume which keeps to the following format. PLEASE LIMIT TO TWO (2) PAGES:
- Academic Honors/ Achievements – List the honor/ achievement as well as a brief explanation of the honor.
- School Sponsored Extracurricular Activities – List the activity name and include a description of the organization, your personal contribution to the organization, and any honors, awards, or leadership positions held.
- Non-school Sponsored Activities – List the activity name and include a description of the organization, your personal contribution to the organization, and any honors, awards, or leadership positions held.
- Work Experience – List the job title with a description, your contribution to the workplace, and any honors, leadership, or recognition received.
- Your high school transcript.
- If you are dual-enrolled in college or are taking college courses during high school, submit that transcript as well.
- A copy of your SAT or ACT scores, if they are not listed on your transcript
- At least one (1) letter of recommendation from a teacher, counselor, or principal.
- Additional letters of recommendations are encouraged.
- Two (2) typed essays. You may submit all three; but, you MUST choose at least TWO from the options below:
Option 1: The Texas Lyceum acts as a catalyst to bring together diverse opinions and expertise to focus on national and state issues, and seeks to emphasize constructive private sector, public sector, and individual responses to the issues. Describe an issue that is important to you and how you have chosen a leadership path to address this issue. Essay must not exceed 500 words.
Option 2: Each year, the Texas Lyceum selects an individual to receive the Stewardship of Texas Values award. Who do you think embodies leadership? You may choose from the list of Lyceum recipients (which can be found online at http://www.texaslyceum.org/sotvaward.aspx) or someone else who you think most embodies leadership and explain why you believe this individual is a true leader. Essay must not exceed 500 words.
Option 3: We have all heard at some point in our lives the adage that leaders do not flock together, they are usually found soaring alone. While leaders may be known for their independence, the Texas Lyceum brings leaders together and creates opportunities for learning, sharing, and growing collectively and individually. As a proven leader, how does this adage describe you? Please include examples of your leadership experience in your answer. Essay must not exceed 500 words. This is not the time for you to be modest! Let the selection committee get to know you and what makes you uniquely qualified to receive this scholarship award. Writing mechanics are important and will be considered. Please limit your responses to 500 words, typed, double-spaced, and include your name at the top of each page.